An accessory dwelling unit, also known as ADU, refers to the additional living space on your property which are commonly known as granny flats, guest houses, backyard cottage, etc. Due to the shortage of affordable housing in California, the state is incentivizing home owners to build additional units on their property with fewer limitations than ever before.
What are the benefits of building an ADU?
ADUs are an effective and affordable solution for increasing the supply of affordable housing in California. With ADUs, there is no need to pay for land, major new infrastructure, structured parking, etc.; so they are very economical in terms of construction. ADUs allows you to maximize the use of your property, and gives you the luxury of living nearby your extended family without sacrificing privacy. The best part is that they are legally rentable so you can get a new tenant which generates additional passive income from your property. Last but not least, ADUs can increase the value of your property by up to 30%, if done right.
- * creates a new source of income for the owner
- * adds up to 30% to the value of the property (if done right)
- * affordable due to fewer construction requirements
- * increases supply of housing in California
Request a free consultation to see if ADUs are the right investment for your property.
What are my options for building an ADU?
There are different ways of going about building an ADU. This secondary unit can be detached or attached to the existing building on your property, and they can be new construction or converting an existing. Here are some (but not all) examples of ADU development:
- * garage conversion
- * interior conversion (e.g. basement and attic)
- * attached additions to the existing building (aka bump-out ADU)
- * detached new construction (aka backyard cottage)
A large range of municipal land-use and zoning regulations applies to ADU development. Before deciding on the type of ADU to develop, ask the experts at CES4 about the best ADU option for your property considering its zoning and jurisdiction.
How is it done?
Most people assume their homes will be un-habitable for a short period of time if they decide to build an ADU on their property, when that is simply not true. We make the process easy and headache-free so you can sit back, sip on your favorite drink, and enjoy having a new living space in your home! Here’s how the process goes:
- * visit your property for an accurate assessment AT NO COST.
- * propose a competitive quote for engineering + construction services based on your specific goals and needs. We believe in 100% transparency and there will be NO HIDDEN FEES, NOT EVEN HIDDEN ONES!!
- * begin the construction, handle the inspections/ permit submissions to the city, and keep you updated throughout the process. PS ~> we leave no construction mess behind!!
- * consult with us for free
- * sit back and let us handle all the construction headaches
- * receive weekly updates of the progress
Where do I start?
Our experts engineers are ready to get you started and answer any questions you may have. Take a moment to fill out this form, provide us with some basic information about your building, and we will respond to you within one business day.